Peninsula Outlook

• April 2I bought the worlds worst thesaurus today. Not only is it terrible, it's terrible.

• March 28I'm only friends with 25 letters of the alphabet. I don't know Y.

School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Kate Lohrey, Reporter

It’s homework time and 17-year-old Fernando Boyd is ready to study.

He heads down to his room, turns on the latest football game and starts up his laptop. Over the next two hours, Boyd will send about a dozen snapchats discussing a large variety of subjects, take at least one phone call, scroll through twitter and instagram, volunteer to help with a the fish food bank the next week, and check out the new fishbowl pictures another friend has posted on his story.

In between, he’ll define Bernoulli’s law of inequality for an AP statistics paper, analyze trends in technology usage across the school for an upcoming research paper, and practice his solo for chamber choir a few times. He is one classic example of a high schooler. Too many commitments with little or no time in between.  

We spend over 10,000 hours participating in clubs, sports, homework, and then school itself. 10,000 hours! Much like Boyd, most of our lives currently revolve around some aspect of school, whether it’s studying for an extra hour to score a 5 on an AP test or staying up all night thinking of the perfect way to ask that special someone to prom and all of those time commitments add up fast.

In total, 4,680 hours are spent in high school itself. An additional 5,400 hours are spent on clubs, sports, other extracurricular activities, and homework adding up to a whopping 10,080 hours spent on high school. This leaves about 7,200 hours for sleep and other non-school related things like texting or scrolling through social media.

Now, these numbers fluctuate from person to person. For example, Gabe Fobes spends his time a little differently than Boyd. He works as a prep cook at the Floatation Device, has three intense AP classes, and plays bass for Zero Harbor Band. That’s about 15 hours working, another 8-15 with his band practicing for an upcoming gig, and 5-10 hours working on his AP homework. If you add in school that makes around 70 hours spent on high school and all of it’s aspects. That’s a huge commitment for a cap and gown.

The numbers definitely speak for themselves in saying students are dedicated to themselves and their personal success. Students like Boyd are giving up precious football training time to practice for a choir concert or choosing to study for an upcoming unit quiz rather than going to catch a movie with friends. High school should be about having a healthy balance of work and fun. Sometimes this balance gets thrown off and that’s normal, healthy even. Just don’t neglect that paper that’s due by midnight.

Kate Lohrey, Reporter

Kate already thinks Peninsula is a wonderful school, however she wants to use Outlook as a way of making the halls and classrooms more positive. She joined...

1 Comment

One Response to “School: The Sacrifice of Free Time”

1. Cialischeap on April 3rd, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks for keeping KQV under local ownership.cialis cheap

Please keep your comments appropriate. This is a school newspaper website. Thanks!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Winter Sports Season 2019-2020!

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Features

Superstar Students

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Features

How to Get Rid of Fear

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Features

The Impacts of Bullying: Cyber and In-person

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

A & E

Zoolights in Review

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

A & E

Loved and Regretted Piercing Stories

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Features

Three Seahawks Athlete Sign With College Programs

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Girls Swim and Dive Team Makes A Splash!

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

A & E

No Trick-Or-Treating For Teens

• School: The Sacrifice of Free Time

Features

Importance of Voting

The student news site of Peninsula High School.
School: The Sacrifice of Free Time