Volunteering Opportunities in Gig Harbor

Isabella Rosenberger

Senior students of Peninsula School District are rushing to get in the required 50 hours of volunteering before graduation. However, finding time to get these hours can be difficult, especially during sports seasons and heavy testing months. Here are the three best local businesses and organizations where high school students can volunteer.

1. S.A.V.E. Thrift Store

Open year-round and just down the road from Peninsula High School, S.A.V.E. Thrift Store sells donated items from the community and then gives proceeds to the scholarship program at PHS. The store is open from 10 am to 4 pm every day except Sunday, providing ample time to get those hours in. Not only is S.A.V.E. a great place to volunteer, but it also offers a variety of different choices, such as cashiering, pricing, organization, and management. These are also all fantastic skills to put on resumes for future career opportunities. 

1. Food Backpacks 4 Kids

This non-profit organization is open Wednesday through Friday from 10 pm to 6 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 12 pm. Food Backpacks 4 Kids is an organization that uses food donations to curate boxes of food for families in need. Volunteers also put lunches together during the summer to distribute to families at parks in the area. This is a great year-round volunteering opportunity for students.

1. Pen Met Parks Summer Camps

Over the summer, Pen Met Parks holds children’s day camps and is always looking for volunteers to assist the directors of these camps. As a camp counselor or junior counselor, volunteers put together activities and games for children under the age of 10. A fun way to earn volunteer hours, the camps are held in week-long intervals. Just two weeks of volunteering could knock out the entire 50-hour requirement. 

Not only do these volunteering opportunities cover a graduation requirement, but having volunteer hours on a college resume makes an applicant stand out. Volunteering is also a great way to discover a new passion or skill you may not have exercised before. Organizations are looking for new people and need volunteers. Anytime is a great time to start giving back to your community.