Peninsula Outlook

• April 2I bought the worlds worst thesaurus today. Not only is it terrible, it's terrible.

• March 28I'm only friends with 25 letters of the alphabet. I don't know Y.

A New Era Of Madness: Fall Out Boy’s M A N I A Tour

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauren Gilman, Video Manager

Lights dimmed, silence fell, and a 20-second countdown displayed across the stage. Slowly, drummer Andy Hurley rose from below the platform and lead singer Patrick Stump and bassist Pete Wentz ran on, bringing people out of their seats and screaming. Thousands of angsty teenagers filled the Seattle arena, unanimously yelling along to every word. This concert’s energy held high for 3 ½ hours and nothing but vitality encapsulated the stadium.

To begin the show, Jaden Smith came out as the first opening act. His hip-hop performance easily brought up the energy of the first who congregated inside, but spirits truly rose when Blackbear began. More popular songs, like IDFC and Do Re Mi succeeded in getting people up and singing. The voices between these two opening acts sounded killer and did a great job jumpstarting the momentum.

However, the real show began when Fall Out Boy ran on stage. Their entrance enthralled the audience, generating an aura of boisterous comfort. The concert began with songs from their more popular albums then transitioned into their newest album/focus on tour, M A N I A. Fall Out Boy also debuted a never-before-heard song “Expensive Mistakes”, which ties in the band’s old emo lyrics with their newer, pop-sounding acoustics. Not forgetting their routes, the group continuously integrated many songs from their earlier records.

An interesting twist of the night was when Patrick Stump remixed their alternative/ EDM song “Young and Menace” into a piano solo piece. The audience loved this and held up their phones, waving lights illuminated the stadium.

After the last scheduled song, the audience’s high energy proved themselves deserving of an encore. With the crowd cheering for more, the band dashed back onstage to perform three more throwback songs. Finally ending the show, the words “maybe it was just a dream, the end” typed onto the screen to a quirky melody.

Throughout the past decade, Fall Out Boy has been an icon for offbeat youth everywhere. In Seattle, thousands gathered at Key Arena to celebrate this music. This show consisted of stretched platforms for musicians to sprint across, floating stages, shooting fire, light effects, purple and white confetti, parachuted gifts from above, and llamas (from the newer song “Last Of The Real Ones’” music video) shooting merch cannons at the audience. This band did a wonderful job creating a second-home for everyone that night. Integrating old punk-rock songs with a new generation of pop music perfectly defines their new-age music: a madness, a M A N I A.

Lauren Gilman, Editor in Chief

Lauren Gilman signed up for Outlook this year, because she is taking the lead roll in the classroom as the editor. If she could interview one person she...