Do Moore for Your Community

Nikki Schobert, Reporter

All of us have wanted to help our community at some point, but few have the courage to go through with it. Samm Moore, a junior at Peninsula, is one of the few that has taken up the challenge.

After watching loved ones become homeless, Moore decided to start the operation on November 2, 2016. The plan was to collect donations of warm clothes, blankets and deodorant as well as toothbrushes, books and toys to give to the homeless for the winter. Contacting everyone she knew, she gathered a crew of 24 students who were willing to make an effort.

The first week of December, Moore sent out her little helpers in small groups of three to four. Going all over Washington, from Spokane to Tacoma, each group had one or two garbage bags of goodies.

“I want the focus to be on conversing with the people that they’re giving things to and getting to know their story. I feel like it’s really important to actually talk to people and create a stronger community and a better world,” Moore said.

Moore believes that if you want to create a better community, people should be communicating. As everyone passed out the goods, they talked and learned who everyone really was at the core of their being.

“I have this problem called ‘I want to help everyone in the world but I can’t’, so I just try to do what I can. Honestly, this could entirely fail. I feel like it takes a lot of courage, but I have to be the one that steps up to the plate.” Moore said.

“I’ve always found an interest in helping others and I thought this was a great way to do it during the winter, in this cold time when they’re in need.” Olivia Ramirez said. Ramirez donated a couple hats, a scarf, and a pair of gloves.

Most helping out have wanted to support those in need, but had never had the chance. The group that went out was just the December crew. Only handing out around half of their donations, they will be handing out the rest this mid-winter break. In the future, there are hopes for doing this year round.