The King County Coronavirus Outbreak

The King County Coronavirus Outbreak

Emily Bunker

The recent Coronavirus outbreak in King County Washington has people panicked and lost. Some people have even gone as far as to avoid the beer brand Corona in fear of contracting the virus. The media is blowing the disease up and people aren’t educating themselves with the correct facts. 

A local nursing home is thought to be the reason behind the King County outbreak. An article by Robin Dich on 13 Fox says, “The LifeCare nursing home with two confirmed cases – an employee and a resident – now has more than 50 people being tested for the virus and showing signs of respiratory illness. The facility is closed, with no visitors being allowed inside. Nursing students from the Lake Washington Institute of Technology were at the LifeCare nursing facility last week. They’re being closely monitored, along with the 110 residents and 180 LifeCare employees — and people they’re associated with.” 

Several schools have been closed as well due to the outbreak. The list includes: 

1. Hazen High School – Renton
  2. Jackson High School – Mill Creek 
  3. Kentwood High School – Kent
  4. Covington Elementary School – Kent 
  5. Mariner High School – Everett
  6. Discover Elementary School – Everett
  7. Frank Love Elementary School – Bothell

As of Thursday Morning the U.S. has 163 cases of the virus total. California in first place with 54 cases, Washington in second with 46, with New York and Nebraska tied for third with 13 cases, and Texas falling close behind with 12. The risk of dying from the disease isn’t as high as the media claims. 98% of people with the virus survive and are doing a lot better. Every case so far has been older people with ages reaching from the 50s to 90s. About half of the victims have underlying conditions which decrease their chances of surviving. 

According to a report in The New York Times, it’s possible the virus has been unknowingly spreading in Washington state for about six weeks, since mid-January. That would mean up to 1,500 more people may have contracted the virus, and anywhere from 300-500 people would fall in the “most likely” to have it range.

How to protect yourself 

• Do not go to the emergency room unless essential. Emergency rooms need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs. If you have symptoms like cough, fever, or other respiratory problems, contact your regular doctor first. 
  • Stay home when sick
  • Practice excellent personal hygiene habits, including handwashing, coughing into tissue or elbow, avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth.
  • Stay informed. Information is changing frequently.
  • Avoid all non-essential travel to South-Korea, Italy, and China where outbreak numbers are the highest.

Bonus Meme 🙂

Fink, Sheri, and Mike Baker. “Coronavirus May Have Spread in U.S. for Weeks, Gene Sequencing Suggests.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 1 Mar. 2020, www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/health/coronavirus-washington-spread.html.

“Pin on Epic Memes Boi.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.com/pin/789748484643502753/.

Smith, Mitch, et al. “Tracking Every Coronavirus Case in the U.S.: Full Map.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 3 Mar. 2020, www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html.

“Two More Confirmed Coronavirus Cases in King County.” Q13 FOX News, 1 Mar. 2020, q13fox.com/2020/03/01/two-more-confirmed-coronavirus-cases-in-king-county/.