PHS Sports Update

Week of 10/25/19

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

Tuesday, October 22nd: Varsity Girl’s Soccer had their last home game of the season, meaning it was senior night as Peninsula High School took on the Capital Cougars. Emotion filled the stands, but fire filled the field, it was a gift for the senior girls, who won their last game at home 6-2 over the visiting Cougars. Their last three games will be on the road, as they will journey to Central Kitsap on the 24th to take on the 9-2-3 Cougars.

Tuesday, October 22nd: JV Girl’s Soccer came home to host the Capital Cougars and came out on top, with the outcome resulting in a 4-0 PHS win. The JV team is also going to Central Kitsap on the 24th to take on the Central Kitsap Cougars. 

Tuesday, October 22nd: Varsity Volleyball was the away team as they embarked on a journey to Yelm to take on the Tornadoes. They continued their magnificent season, as they team annihilated the Tornadoes 3-0. Another great game by Varsity, is something this school has grown to expect. The Hawks will be home on the 24th to take on the visiting Capital Cougars. PHS’s lone loss on the year came on the road against Capital, and now, at 7:15 pm, the Seahawks will be looking for revenge.  

Tuesday October 22nd: JV Volleyball piggybacked off of Varsity as they were able to snag a win against Yelm. Their match was closer, resulting in a 2-1 score on the road. The girls will also be home on the 24th to take on Capital. 

Thursday, October 24th: Varsity Girl’s Soccer took a much needed win at home on Tuesday, and rode the momentum to their next matchup against the Central Kitsap Cougars. Their game on the road resulted in a 4-2 win over the CK Cougars, another important win for Varsity. They will play away at Timberline on the 29th, with the game starting at 7pm. 

Thursday, October 24th: JV Girl’s Soccer was set to play at CK, but their game ended up being cancelled, no immediate reason why, but the squad will head to Timberline with Varsity in hopes to actually play a game this time. 

Thursday, October 24th: Varsity Volleyball came home after a 3-0 road win over Yelm. The team played host to the Capital Cougars, the team responsible for Peninsula’s lone loss. Unfortunately, Capital has now swept Peninsula on the year, as PHS took their second loss of the year to the Cougars 3-0 at home. The girls will play their last home game on the 29th, as they will take on the Central Kitsap Cougars in what will be Senior Night for Girl’s volleyball, Ceremonies start at 6:30, with the game starting at 7.

Thursday, October 24th: JV left their home court with a win against Capital last night with a final score of 3-0. JV will also be home against CK, but they will play at 5:45.

Thursday, october 24th: Boy’s Water polo traveled to Lakes High School to try and grab their second win on the year. The team came so close, but in the waiting minutes, Lakes was able to score a final goal that broke the tie. The game ended in a 7-6 Lakes win. The Hawks will finish the regular season on the 31st, as they will play their last game, away at South Kitsap, at 4pm. There are tournaments after league play ends, and the teams are looking forward to ending the season strong. 

Thursday, October 24th: Girl’s Swim and dive exploded onto the scene at Leagues, and placed second in the meet. For many, this was their last swim meet and all athletes seemed to enjoy the season. The juniors will look to step up next season, and lead the team to another dominant season. 

Thursday/ Friday, October 24th/25th: Boy’s Tennis participated in the SSC Tournament, hosted at Central Kitsap High School. Peninsula showed up and showed out, becoming a highlight team for the audience in attendance. Tennis qualified in the regular season, and will be participating in the WCD 3A Tournament at Sprinker Recreation Center on November first and second. 

Friday, October 25th: Varsity Football played their most important game of the year, Fish Bowl 2019 is officially done with, and per usual, Peninsula came out on top. It was an amazing game, if you were a Peninsula fan. The Seahawks benefited from a nice run pass combo, on offense, and a handful of turnovers forced on defense. The Tides student section was shut down and the PHS students did their part to cheer on their team. The game resulted in a 42-3 Seahawk victory. The Peninsula class of 2020 has never seen a Fishbowl loss in their four years at the high school, and that is something to be proud of. Along with being Fishbowl champs, The Seahawks are also South Sound Conference champions, as they hold the tiebreaker over now second place Yelm. Peninsula will wrap up the regular season on Halloween night, it should be a spooky victory for the Hawks, as they will pay a visit to the Capital Cougars in hopes to stay perfect in conference play. The Hawks will be playing for home field advantage in the playoffs, kickoff at 7pm and another Seahawk win by nine. 

All schedules, rankings and scores are according to http://www.sscathletics.org and https://www.maxpreps.com/