Sports Recap- Week of 9/16

Grace Nesbit, Sports

Boys Tennis

The boys tennis team is holding a 2-1 record. With wins over Yelm (5-0) and North Thurston (3-2).  They lost against Capitol (find the score).  With 3 matches in, our boys are holding strong. 

Cross Country

At the first meet of the season the Peninsula runners, unfortunately, did not place overall.  However, for the girls, Hannah Lee, senior, placed 10th with Elektra Higgins, sophomore, behind her by 3 seconds.  Although we “lost”, Peninsula was above half in a total of around 20 schools.  This meet was held at Bellarmine.  

Girls Soccer

The Girls of Pen High took over the field and dominated starting the season off with a 3-1 record.  They won against Bellarmine Prep (1-0), Central Kitsap (2-0), and Capitol High School (1-0).  Unfortunately, they lost their second game against Olympia High School (0-1), but they fought hard. 

Boys Water Polo

Peninsula Boys took to the pool and have killed other teams; they are currently leading a 2-0 official record.  They started off the season strong at Auburn High School for a jamboree winning all three of their games.  Official games were against Puyallup (8-4) and Silas High School (10-5).  Most recently, the Seahawks faced the Wolves (South K) and beat them 27-2 with Nathan Fors, sophomore, (5 goals) and Marcus Reum, junior, (3 goals) as the top scorers. 

Girls Swim and Dive

The Lady Hawks took it to the pool for their first meet and, unfortunately, did lose in terms of the overall score (100-76), however, it was quite close.  Many swimmers had personal bests in all of their races, and almost all of the varsity relays made the district time. Senior Brogan Braaten made the district time in the 200m IM and 400m freestyle.  Sophomore Kate Henkel made the district time in the 200m Freestyle.  On Thursday night (Sept. 15 2022) The girls won against Capitol with a score of 115-51 with district times by Kate Henkel in the 100m Freestyle.

Football 

Peninsula’s Varsity football has had 2 games of the season and currently is seated with a 1-1 record.  Winning the game against Kentwood with a score of 31-7, and losing against Enumclaw with a very close game of 29-27.  With Fish Bowl coming up this Friday (Sept. 16) anticipations are high for the rest of the season.  

Girls Volleyball

The Girls Volleyball team has a record of 1-0.  They won their match against Bellarmine with a score of 3-0.  They started their season off with a tournament and left with a 2-2 win.