Girls swim and dive proud of successful season

Alexis Finley, Reporter

The girls swim and dive team deserves to take a bow as they snap off their goggles and hang up their caps for the time being.

“In my years of high school swim, this year’s team is the hardest working,” Junior Nicole Lee said. “I love my team.”

Junior Kera Zegar, one of the teams’ divers, explained that the team loves to have fun and is extremely supportive and cooperative.

”The team is all around awesome. Practicing with Gig Harbor is also cool. I love everybody,” Zegar said.

Freshmen Constance Kirby and Athena Peterson’s  talent made an impact on the Seahawks swim season. Along with improving the results of the team, they honed their own technique.

“I’ve definitely gotten faster, my technique has changed and improved. Our coaches help us work on things we need to improve on,” Kirby said.

Sophomore Whitney Mundle is pleased with the way the season turned out.

“We performed very well this year, strong team, strong all around, and I’m really proud of everyone,” Mundle said.

Mundle said she would love to go to a good college after high school and swim competitively aside from studying meteorology.

Many  of the girls said they would love to participate again next year.

“The whole team is accepting and it’s an awesome sport to make friends,” Zegar said.

“This season has been absolutely wonderful, we’re undefeated league champs and all the girls worked really hard to get to where were at and I’m so proud of them. Go hawks,” Junior Brianna Brown said.

The girls competed at  districts Nov. 1 and Nov. 2 and placed second overall, along with having a girl on the podium for every event.

All three relays moved on to the state competition and qualified for finals. Mundle dropped three seconds off of her 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07.44 and senior Madison Ryan also competed in the backstroke, earning tenth place with a time of 1:00.75.

“We did outstanding, went our hardest and I’m so proud of this wonderful group of girls,” Brown said.