Boys Basketball Moves on in Playoffs!

Cassandra Bundrick

Jared Brinkman chasing down the opponent.

Seth Walloch, Sports Editor

***Boys have since lost the game to Kelso, 62-54***

The PHS boys basketball had a big game against Stadium High School. It was their second playoff game and if they were to lose they would be out of the playoffs and their season would be done for good.

On February 10th, this past Friday, the PHS boys basketball team played their second playoff game against Stadium High School. They played at North Thurston High School and it started at 7:45. This playoff game had more importance than the last because if they would lose they would be out of the playoffs for good. Stadium had 9 wins and 12 losses going into the game.

The Hawks finished the game and got the win. The final score was Hawks 71, Stadium 59. The Hawks were able to do a lot to contribute to that win.

“We played our hearts out! We were getting every loose ball and you could just tell who wanted it more. When we pay as a team good things happen,” said Junior guard, Elijah McLaughlin.

McLaughlin did a lot to help get PHS the win over Stadium. He finished the game with 21 points and had a few assists as well. He wasn’t the only one to contribute to their win though.

“One thing I will take away from this game is my teammates and all I know how competitive we have come out and the difference between a regular season game and a playoff game. With two games under my belt I’m glad to know the feeling of earning and winning a playoff game,” said Nate Thompson, a senior guard.

Thompson had 5 points and also pulled down a lot of key rebounds that they needed then.

Now that the Hawks won they move onto play again on February 13th at North Thurston High School. They will be matched up against Kelso High School.

Kelso currently sits a record of 17 wins and 5 losses, 8 wins and 2 losses in districts.

“Moving forward from this game we have to believe and have the mentality that we are the better team. If we step onto that court on monday thinking Kelso is better than us then we already lost. Moving forward in playoffs we need to believe we are the best team in state,” said Junior guard, Jared Brinkman.

Brinkman Finished the game with 11 points and a few steals to add.

“We need to always have energy and put the team ahead of ourselves and get everyone involved,”  said McLaughlin.

To read about how the girls basketball team did click here