Peninsula Students go to University of Montana All Star Honor Bands

Grace Nesbit

Over the Weekend of November 12, 2022, two students from the Peninsula Band Program traveled to the University of Montana in Missoula for the UM All-Star Honor Bands. For those unaware, honor bands are either all director-based nominations or done by audition. The Honor Bands consisted of students from several states, including Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska.

Grace Nesbit, Senior, and James McCourt, Sophomore, were the only students representing Peninsula High School at the function. Over the course of three days (Nov 11th to 13th), members were in rehearsals for 12 hours a day, and concluded with a concert on Sunday the 13th. There were three bands that students were assigned to, all being around 80 students. Two of the conductors were also from Washington State, David Stewart from Graham-Kapowsin High School and Corrine Smith, director of bands at Curtis Junior High School.

Members got the opportunity to play with members of the University of Montana wind ensemble, as well as an opportunity to play with the Marching Band. In addition, they got to work with Frank Tichelli, a world-renowned composer. All of the pieces played were works of Tichelli. As someone that attended this event, it was amazing to work with the person who composed the piece I was playing and to see the expressions he only uses when listening to us rehearse was phenomenal.