Spring into Spring Sports

Cole McVay, Reporter

The spring is an exciting time for many people. The spring is about getting outside and healthy. The school is very excited about the new sports season. With so many sports and activities this new season is going to be a great time for many Peninsula Seahawks.

Track and Field

Track and Field is one of the biggest sports Peninsula has to offer, with tons of different events there is a spot for everyone to shine. The Track squad looks to have a great year. Junior Maeve Griffin who runs hurdles hold herself to a high standard, “My goal is to go to state and place. I think I can do it with a little bit of hard work everyday and practice and support from my family and friends.” Maeve is a star and always has been; she has been dominant on the volleyball court and the track ever since she was a freshman. The Track and Field boys and girls are excited to see what the new year has in store.

Golf

Peninsula Golf is fun and exciting team. Last years team had 6 seniors, so they are looking for someone new to step up and be a major contributor to the squad. Junior Ben Goins is ready to be that guy, “With me being new to the team I just hope I can help the team win some games, But my personal goal is just to have fun and make some new pals.” The squad is ready to rock and roll into the new season.

Fastpitch

The Peninsula Seahawks Fastpitch team looks a little bit different this year with a new head coach. Mike Paul, who was an assistant last year, takes the reigns as the new head man for the Seahawks Fastpitch team. With a senior heavy team the Seahawks look to make a deep push in the playoffs this year. Junior Joana Waage is a returner for the Hawks, “I think our main goal is to just win as many games as we can.” If the Seahawks can win some games and push for a deep run in the state playoffs it’ll be a great year for the 2019 Fastpitch team.

Girls Tennis

The Peninsula High School Girls Tennis team had a great year last year and they’re looking to bring some of last years success to the new campaign of Seahawk Tennis. Senior Amanda Wong is ready for her final go around with the team, “As a senior I really just want to have fun, but I also want to win some games too. I think that it’s going to be a fun season.” Amanda Wong is very excited for what her final season of high school sports is going to bring to her and her team.

Baseball

Peninsula High School Baseball looks for a fresh new start with new head coach Mike Johnson. The team returns 7 varsity players to the diamond. With a new coach and and a new team the boys are excited for their upcoming season. Junior Peter King has been a huge contributor to the team since his freshman year, said “as a team I think we can make a push for state, and personally my goal for me is to be First Team All League.” The future is bright for the Seahawks.

Boys Soccer

The Peninsula High School Boys Soccer team is excited for the upcoming season. With 11 seniors gone from last year’s squad there looks to be some major turnover. Junior Gabe Krishnadasan was a major contributor on the pitch last season and looks for the Seahawks to have a big year, “My main goal for this season is to win a league championship, I think we can do it.” The Hawks fell short of that goal this year but are excited for the upcoming challenge in the 2019 season.

Overall the entire school is excited to see what’s in store for our 2019 spring sports and athletes. The potential at our school is crazy. Except some of our Seahawks to make some noise in state events. A lot of excitement is surrounding our school during this special time of the year.