Get to Know the Exchange Students

Rehka – India Why did you decide to become an exchange student? “My dream was to go to a foreign country, I didn’t care which country, and learn about a different culture.” What do you like the most about peninsula? “They have this uniqueness in them. For example, the two accidents when two people were killed, they had this support which I liked and they were there for eachother, which I loved most. I love the school so much.” What’s the biggest difference between here and your home? “I’m from this big city that is overpopulated and you don’t see a lot of trees and stuff. Also, people here wave at you. They don’t care whether you are from this country or a different country, they just wave at you, which is cool. They don’t do that in my country.” What do you miss the most from your home? “My parents and my siblings. Oh and the food, I miss the food a lot.” What is the hardest part of being an exchange student? “The whole exchange problem is hard because you have to know the situation. For example, if you are lost in weird area, you don’t know where you are and have to figure out the situation and how to get out of it. This whole exchange program is kind of challenging.”

Alfred- Germany
Why did you decide to become an exchange student?
“It was my plan since sixth grade, I think. I just thought it would be a good experience, to just see the culture and learn english too.”
What do you like the most about peninsula?
“In germany schools are a lot more like a workplace, here it’s a little more fun, the people are nicer, and the teachers are nicer too.”
What’s the biggest difference between here and your home?
“I think just how the cities are. In germany, everything’s old and here the cities are newer. The people seem to be more friendly too.”
What do you miss the most from your home?
“I miss my friends and my family. In germany I lived in a bigger city, and here I live in the countryside, so just city life.”
What is the hardest part of being an exchange student?
“Just trying to fit in. It’s not that hard, you just go there- I don’t really think about it.”
Rehka – India
“My dream was to go to a foreign country, I didn’t care which country, and learn about a different culture.”
“They have this uniqueness in them. For example, the two accidents when two people were killed, they had this support which I liked and they were there for eachother, which I loved most. I love the school so much.”
“I’m from this big city that is overpopulated and you don’t see a lot of trees and stuff. Also, people here wave at you. They don’t care whether you are from this country or a different country, they just wave at you, which is cool. They don’t do that in my country.”
“My parents and my siblings. Oh and the food, I miss the food a lot.”
“The whole exchange problem is hard because you have to know the situation. For example, if you are lost in weird area, you don’t know where you are and have to figure out the situation and how to get out of it. This whole exchange program is kind of challenging.”
Melanie-Switzerland
“I’ve always loved to travel. I wanted to see and experience a new culture and also to get to know new people.”
“That we are a community and that everyone is friends with each other. It doesn’t matter how old you are, or if you are a boy or a girl.”
“Here there are school sports and we don’t have that and I really enjoy them and being on a team.
“Probably the public transportation because here I can’t drive and I always need a ride or someone who can drive to give me a ride.”
“Just to be by yourself, to be with no parents who can give you advice. You basically are by yourself, and have to do everything by yourself.”
Diego- Madrid, Spain
“I felt it was going to be an amazing experience and also for my future it’s very important to know more.”
“I like the environment, the people, how everything works good together. It’s just amazing.”
“The society and how everything is connected is different. In spain you have all sorts of different things to do and it’s all spread out. Here it’s very concentrated in one place.”
“Obviously my family, my friends. Also, the environment there is very nice, I miss it.”
“The hardest part is at the beginning because you come to a different culture and you have to know more people because you feel very alone, because you don’t know anybody in this country. But then after a month there’s no bad or hard thing.”
Clair – Belgium
“I really love to travel and I wanted to discover a new culture and improve my english.”
“The teachers and the kindness of people.”
“The people and the way days are, they’re very different.”
“My friends, my family, and my independence.”
“Getting used to a new school and a new family where you don’t know anybody. You have to try and make friends and getting into new groups that have already been friends for years, so it’s not easy.”
Alison – Ecuador
“I wanted to learn english better.”
“I like that the people are nice, and they try to understand the things I say.”
“The language, the people, and the weather. Also the distances are different- and the music.”
“My family and my dogs.”
“Sometimes people don’t understand what you’re saying.”

Manar- Morocco
“The opportunity was there, it was literally free. I was up for an adventure so, why not?”
“I like how when stuff happens everyone just comes together like one family. I know some people may or may not agree with me, but I really feel like the community when it’s needed is there. I also like the staff and how supportive everyone is.”
“I think definitely the way teachers deal with the students. In morocco, the teachers just give you the information and you have to struggle with it on your own. Here teachers take the time to teach it to you. Mr. Newton literally stayed after with me for 3 hours on a friday, so definitely the teacher-student relationship.”
“I miss being approached by people without having to always make the first move. Everyone was always interested and just wanting to know you, while here everybody has their own friends so they don’t have to have new friends. So you always have to reach out to people.”
“I think it’s mostly the small things, the things I did not expect to miss. I miss stuff that my mom cooked, fights with my sister and all that stuff. It’s just really ridiculous stuff but it still counts.”