Boys Basketball Takes on the Playoffs

Cassandra Bundrick.

Hawks hustling for the ball.

Austin Twiss, Reporter

An impressive and unexpected surge during the last half of the season offered a promising playoff run for the PHS boys’ basketball team.

On February 8th, the squad was set to play 18-2 Prairie High School away. The opponent went undefeated in league and is surely a capable foe.

Despite an undoubtedly rocky start, the Hawks managed to finish at 10-10 in the regular season while placing 6th in league. This was surely a result of new faces on the varsity roster, and most importantly, a new head coach. The halfway mark, a 3-7 mid season record was sure to unsettle the community’s fans.

Peninsula had finished the two previous seasons in historical fashion so it was safe to say many had blended expectations with an inexperienced roster. However, Peninsula turned things around and finished the season strong, with a 7-3 record including significant away victories at Gig Harbor and Timberline.

“Our team’s success came from getting time to gain that chemistry with new teammates and new leaders.  We had people who needed to step up in roles they never had before,” senior guard, Nathan Thompson said.

Previously taking on a smaller role, Thompson led the Seahawks in scoring with 10 points, along with Elijah McLaughlin (awarded league Honorable Mention) on Wednesday against Prairie High School.

For senior guard and team leader Cade Mcgill, his rejoining of the team half way through the season seemed to be a real turn around. The defensive presence he provides and offensive weapons he brings drag much of the opponent’s attention to himself. His seven points and unwavering effort defensively, and on the boards, led to a major contribution this Wednesday.

“My mindset is to take the game one possession at a time and just try to put my team in the best position to win,” Mcgill said.

First team all-league guard,  junior Seth Kasteler, had a rough performance, but gave his all nonetheless. 

“We were able to find a sense of urgency and really kick into gear. Our saying was ‘down 10’ implying that we are always behind and have to give it 100%,” Kasteler said.

The Seahawks played well despite the loss, 56-44. Prairie put up some difficult shots and managed to score clutch buckets in the end of the fourth, ultimately holding off the Hawks. If there is anything to take away from the game, the squad has a strength when it comes to playing hard and giving 100%.

To read how they did in the second game click here