The Phoenix Club is Doing Portlandia Spoofs, and Their Question for You Is: Have Ya Read It?

Phoenix Club

Reporter, Natalie Svinth, tells about the activities and antics of the Pheonix club.

Natalie Svinth, Reporter

Portlandia is Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein’s stylized sketch-comedy lovechild and the only haven on television where birds are on everything, cacao is more than just a cocoa-bean, and feminist bookstore owners run wild. The comedy showcases the eccentricities of day-to-day living in the city of Portland, and is a living model of what it means to “keep Portland weird.”

This idiosyncratic show has touched the hearts of the members of The Phoenix Club, Peninsula High School’s literary art magazine. After a series of meetings consisting entirely of Portlandia-style banter, the Phoenix associates had a revolutionary idea: Create Portlandia spoofs.

“We needed to give the magazine more publicity anyways, so we thought, why not have fun while doing it?” Nicolas Wright, co-editor of the Phoenix, said.

Holding the student body’s interest with a paper magazine can be difficult in an age where the Internet is a great comfort, as well as the ultimate distraction. By making spoofs of Portlandia, the group hopes to gain a wider audience of students that will potentially be interested in the magazine as well.

“You are taking an ancient craft and keeping up with the times. The Phoenix Staff is making paper publication relevant in a paperless world,” said Julie Bruey, Phoenix advisor.

Wright plays a major role in the publication of the magazine with his keen eye for detail and layout. When the filming of the skits began, his previously behind-the-scenes expertise took a new role as he rose to the challenge of playing one of the main characters of the show.

“I really enjoy it. Being Fred gives me a voice I never knew I had. It’s a part of me I had no idea existed before we began these skits,” Wright said.

Along with re-creating the off-kilter stylings of Portlandia to a T, the Phoenix is able to use these spoofs as a medium to convey an important message: The 2016 edition of the Phoenix will be in print the beginning of June, and available for the student body to purchase at the ASB window during both lunches. The magazine provides a platform for student artists, photographers, and authors to showcase the depths of their creativity, and reflect the spirit of Peninsula while doing so.

“The magazine is an authentic piece of student work and student voice,” Bruey said. “It is a celebration of the creativity of PHS–the collaboration between students that makes publication possible is a creativity in itself.”

Peninsula Junior Madeleine Johnson agrees: The Phoenix Club is saturated with creativity. One of the first to view the finished video, the Portlandia fiend is still reeling.

“I could not stop the laughter,” she said. “The most incredible aspect of the “Have Ya Read It” spoof is how closely it resembled the actual Portlandia episode. They got it down to the last detail.”

Bruey, also a fan of the show, expresses a similar sentiment. “It’s so good. I’m hoping the Phoenix staff will send it to [Portlandia creators] Fred and Carrie.”

Wright lifts his glasses to wipe a single tear from his eye. “It’s great. I’m crying,” he said, recalling the meaningful process of creating the spoof.

These skits can be found on the Phoenix’s website, thephsphoenix.weebly.com, on the Phoenix’s various social media sites, as well as here. Watch the original Portlandia episode here.