Season of Sisterhood for Girls Water Polo

Kristen Halvorsen, Reporter

Envision a sporting event full of energy with loud crowds of high school students. Since the girls water polo team was created here 13 years ago it has brought an exciting splash of school spirit because of its enthusiasm and pride. On the team this year there are only eight students on the team, barely enough to field the team, and two coaches Chelsea Lanning and Kim Streeter.

“Yes we’re small but I love that aspect of it; we are all tight and we can depend on each other,” junior Tara Price said.

A favorite memory of Price’s, who is co-captain this year, was at their first team bonding party at senior Jessica Clayton’s house.

“I walked into the wrong house and didn’t realize it until I saw their pictures in their house and it wasn’t of her family,” Price said.

Water polo requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Training includes swim warm ups, treading water, ball handling skills, shots and drills.  Price is committed to this high spirited sport and cross-trains in the off-season on the girls swim team. She has been an active participant in water polo for three years now and plans on playing again next year as a senior.

“Water polo is a fun sport and I love getting to know my team,” Price said.

In 2002, girls water polo had a total of 45 girls on the team and has made a major decline over the years. Eight players are required to play at any given time in a competition and because the team only has eight players this season, many games have been forfeited or rescheduled due to lack of players.

“It’s kinda like a sisterhood because there’s so few of us and we all get along pretty well and that helps us in the pool because we know how we play,” co-captain Clayton said. “Winquist always pushed me to do better and try out for swim but I missed the tryouts so I tried out for water polo and I really liked it.”

Clayton’s favorite position on the team is center, which requires a lot of leadership responsibilities for directing people where to go. Communication plays a massive role in water polo as important adjustments have to be made. Clayton’s favorite memory was when she was a sophomore two years ago. She was watching Price at state as a goalie for the first time when, “[Price] blocked a five meter which is really, really hard to do, and unheard of.”

The girls water polo team was ranked number four in their league of 16 teams, Gig Harbor High School and Stadium were ranked number one and two. Many teams get to compete in a wildcard tournament before state, and the top three teams from wildcard get to participate at state. The Seahawks got to compete in wildcard but did not qualify for state because they did not have the required amount of players.