November Signing Day

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

National signing day is the day that can change the course of a young athlete’s life. It is the day where coaches, family members and athletes alike, come to support the handful of highschool athletes that have received offers from colleges to continue their athletics at the collegiate level. Peninsula Highschool has a few “letter of intent” days throughout the year where the best athletes in Purdy move on to play sports in college. 

Boy’s Basketball star, and 6’8 freak basketball player Kaleb Lichau has towered over the competition in the South Sound Conference for three years, and will be entering his senior season in 2019. In his three years so far, Lichau has put up 326 points, draining 34 three pointers, and has been a force to be reckoned with while playing defense. Kaleb Lichau signed a letter of intent to play college Basketball for the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado to play for coach Dave Pilipovich. Air Force basketball is a division 1 athletics program, and currently holds the number one rank in the Mountain West conference. They will look to have a great season next year with the addition of Lichau. 

Emma Keith has been a top swimmer for Peninsula High school, and has definitely left her mark in the Girl’s swim and dive program. She signed a letter of intent to swim at the college level, as she committed to Eastern Illinois University. She will be swimming under head coach Evan Sholudko, and will make an impact on the division one school. Keith reached districts and state at her time at PHS, it’s only a matter of time until we see her in an Olympic pool.

Peninsula’s golf team has been dominant for a while, and Preston Bebich has been the reason. He was a top five golfer in Washington his sophomore and Junior year, and looks to be the best in his senior year. Preston Bebich committed to Washington State University to play Collegiate golf in the fall under coach Dustin White. WSU is a division one athletic program and is well respected by the NCAA. Bebich was accompanied by his family when he signed the letter, thanking them for their support, and looks forward to finding success in college. 

Peninsula Seahawk Baseball had three seniors commit to play college baseball. Seahawk Baseball finished second last year in the SSC, with a record of 19-7. Seniors Peter King, Reid Sturn, and Jayden Bunch all committed to play baseball at a higher level. Outfielder Peter King signed a letter of intent to play Division one baseball at San Jose State University. Hoping Head coach Brad Sanflippo can turn him into an even better player. Reid Sturn intends to play college Baseball at division three Linfield College in Oregon Under head Coach Dan Spencer. While Catcher Jayden Bunch committed to play for Columbia Basin College in Pasco Washington to play for Scott Rogers, the former NWAC Coach of the Year. All three baseball players have performed well with their time on Varsity, and the coaches are thrilled that their three senior leaders are pursuing their baseball careers, along with a higher education. 

All the senior athletes are still eligible to play their senior season in their respective sports. Now that November signing day is done, other athletes at Peninsula High School still have the opportunity to play college ball at whatever college they receive an offer from. While Kaleb Lichau, Emma Keith, Preston Bebich, Peter King, Reid Sturn, and Jayden Bunch may be the first seniors this year to commit to play sports in college, the door is still open for other High School athletes to gift a college with their athletic talents.