PHS Sports Update 10/21/19

Shawn Leonard

Peninsula boy’s tennis player Maverick Esser

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

Tuesday, October 15th: Varsity Girls Soccer had a hard time at home, as they played host to the North Thurston Rams. It was a hard fought battle, but Peninsula saw themselves on the losing side 5-2 as the Rams marched in and took the win. It was unfortunate, but the game felt closer than the score reflects; the momentum could have switched at any moment, the Seahawks didn’t lose, they just ran out of time. Peninsula will hit the road to take on the Yelm Tornadoes on the 17th at 7pm.

Tuesday, October 15th: JV Soccer went all out at home, as they absolutely unleashed on the Rams, taking out all of their frustrations from weeks past on the opposing JV squad, and crushing the Rams 13-0. This is the highest scoring game the Hawks have seen all year, and JV looks to pick apart their next opponent, which will be the Yelm Tornadoes on the 17th.

Tuesday, October 15th: Girl’s Swim and Dive traveled to Wilson High School to take on the (previously) undefeated Wilson Swim and Dive team. Peninsula found themselves in the closest match of the year, but escaped with a win 94-91. The girls remain undefeated on the year, but second in the SSC behind Gig Harbor. (Even though Gig Harbor has a loss.) The girls have their last match of the regular season and it will be at home on the 17th at 3:30pm. This is a battle for the South Sound Conference as PHS will host the Gig Harbor Tides in hopes to win the conference, and keep their perfect season alive.

Tuesday, October 15th: Varsity Volleyball is back on the grind as they traveled to Shelton to take on the Highclimbers. Sitting second in the conference, the girls showed why they deserve that top spot, besting Shelton with a score of 3-1. PHS is back home on Thursday at 7pm. They will host the North Thurston Rams, in hopes of reaching that top spot in the conference. 

Tuesday, October 15th: JV Volleyball remains dominant, as they tagged along with varsity to take on Shelton. The Seahawks marched into Shelton and left with another win, 3-0 over the Highclimbers. JV is also home on the 15th, although their game will be at 5:45pm. 

Wednesday, October 16th: Boys Tennis’s match at Gig Harbor was postponed to a later date, due to weather, Mother nature doesn’t always comply, but the boys look forward to the 24th, as they will take part in the SSC tournament. 

Thursday, October 17th: Varsity Girl’s Soccer looked to bounce back on the road against the Yelm Tornadoes. After taking a 5-2 loss on the 15th, Peninsula treated themselves to a 5-3 win, snapping an awkward three game streak where the Seahawks didn’t see a win, and the team is currently sitting fourth in the SSC at 5-4-2. PHS will come back home on the 22nd, as they play the Capital Cougars, game starts at 7pm. 

Thursday, October 17th: JV Girl’s Soccer slayed North Thurston 13-0 on Tuesday, and found similar results on the road, taking the game 5-1 against Yelm. Another solid game for the girls, who will also come home on the 22nd against Capital their game will start at 5pm. 

Thursday, October 17th: Varsity Volleyball was home against North Thurston, with their eyes on the number one spot in the conference. The Girls played hard taking three of the sets to North Thurston’s one. Junior Josie Hampton put on an amazing performance, with 22 kills in the game (in volleyball the term “kill” essentially means points for). Josie Hampton didn’t do it all by herself, sophomore Tommi Gallucci and senior Maeve Griffin played some of their best ball of the season, helping propel the Hawks to a win at home. PHS will play at Yelm on the 22nd, at 7pm. 

Thursday, October 17th: JV Volleyball hosted North Thurston, and took the win with a final score of 3-0. JV has been dominating their foes all year long and this game is no exception. JV will join Varsity on the road at Yelm, although their game will be at 5:45pm. 

Thursday, October 17th: Girl’s Swim and Dive had their last game in the regular season, as they played host to the Gig Harbor Tides, who were first in the South Sound Conference. It was Senior Night for the girls and it was a perfect opportunity for PHS to complete a perfect regular season. *Sigh* but Gig Harbor had other plans, as the Hawks suffered their first loss of the year in their last meet of the year. Everybody swam their hearts out, but in the end Gig Harbor took the game 119-66. Many swimmers still qualify for the SSC league Championships, which will be held at Mt. Tahoma H.S on October 24th. 

Friday, October 18th: Varsity Football had their last home game of the regular season (baring home field advantage in playoffs) against the Yelm Tornadoes. Before the game, PHS was second in the South Sound Conference only behind Yelm. Before the game, both teams shared 4-2 record on the year, with (until now) both losses being out of conference. It was Senior Night for the PHS players, and they took the field with confidence. It was an exciting game, between the SSC leaders, the Peninsula’s defense bent, but stayed strong, relying on their offense for the majority of the game. Despite throwing two interceptions, Peninsula quarterback Peyton Bice still lead his offense down the field, and managed to put up 31 points in this one. Yelm came close, but only managed 28 points in the game. A nail biter for the Hawks at home. The next game Peninsula plays is on October 25th, and everyone should know what’s important about that game. At 7pm, the Hawks are the away team but the game is at Roy Anderson Field for the annual Fishbowl game between the Peninsula Seahawks and the Gig Harbor Tides.