PHS Sports Update

Week of 10/7/19

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

Monday, September 30th: JV boy’s football looked to remain undefeated on the year as they hit the road to take on the Shelton High Climbers.  PHS has been unstoppable as they still have not allowed a single point all year long. Peninsula flexed every muscle of their system, steamrolling the High Climbers 40-0. The JV squad has had a dominant first half of the season, outscoring opponents 97-0 on the year. Whatever Coach is doing, it’s working. The JV team looks to remain undefeated and defend the home turf against Timberline on October 7th, at 5pm. 

Tuesday, October 1st: Boy’s tennis is undefeated so far on the year as they hosted the Central Kitsap Cougars. Peninsula defeated the Cougars with a final score of 5-0 to remain undefeated on the year. The Hawks have been dominant all year long, and are the only remaining undefeated team in the South Sound Conference at 6-0. The tennis team is past the midpoint in the season, and will ride their momentum into Yelm on the 3rd.   

Tuesday, October 1st: Boy’s water polo came back home to host Lakes High School. This game was the first of a three game home stretch, which the Hawks may benefit from if you’re a believer in “home field advantage.” Formerly sitting at 1-4, the Seahawks had to work some magic to pull out a win. Well, nobody invited Chris Angel because unfortunately there was no magic performed that night. Despite putting up a respectful nine points, the Hawks fell at home to Lakes High School with a final score of 12-9. Luckily, the Hawks are back home for the next few games, so there is a solid chance that the Hawks can still finish with a winning record. 

Tuesday, October 1st: Girl’s swim and dive has had a monstrous season so far, blowing opposing teams out of the water. (Get it?) Sitting pretty towards the top of the South Sound Conference, the Girl’s were back home on Tuesday, as they played host to the Capital Cougars. The girl’s remain undefeated on the year, after a dominant 108-68 win over the Cougars. The Hawks are now first place in the South Sound Conference, and will visit Timberline on the 3rd in search to keep their perfect season alive. 

Tuesday, October 1st: Varsity volleyball is back home after back-to-back games on the road, this time taking on the Timberline Blazers. Strong performances by Senior Maeve Griffin and Junior Eryn Ganong propelled the team to blow out Timberline in every set, sweeping the Blazers 3-0. Volleyball is beyond ready for their next game, as they will host the cross town rival Gig Harbor Tides on October 8th at 7pm. 

Tuesday, October 1st: JV volleyball is also back home this week against Timberline after taking their first loss of the season to the Central Kitsap Cougars. JV returned to their winning ways with a 2-0 win over the Blazers. The game was cut short in the second set when Peninsula had the lead because there was an issue with the sealant on the floor, as a mysterious greasy substance appeared. We are all thankful for the Peninsula custodial staff who were able to clean up the substance so that Varsity had no interruptions during their game like JV did. Like Varsity, JV is home against Gig Harbor on the 8th; let’s hope for another win to keep this team rolling. 

Tuesday, October 1st: Varsity Girl’s soccer was back home looking for a win against the Central Kitsap Cougars, after having a rare tie last game against the Capital Cougars. Seventy minutes and a few questionable calls by the officials later and the score was still 0-0. Peninsula had two goals taken away by the officials, both of which “shouldn’t have been taken away” according to varsity players and fans. With just under 15 minutes left, Central Kitsap broke the tie and went up 1-0. After a few solid attempts to move the ball down the field resulting in no points, Peninsula finally had a call go their way when a foul was called in CK’s goalie box. Junior Kylee Seigal had a chance to tie with a penalty kick but her attempt was blocked by the Cougar’s goalkeeper. A last ditch effort a few minutes later by the Hawks ended with Central Kitsap gaining possession of the ball. The final whistle blew, and Peninsula suffered their first home loss of the season. The girls are home Friday, October 4th against Timberline, kickoff at 7:15pm as the Hawks look to snag a win on their home turf. 

Tuesday October 1st: JV girl’s soccer was also at home against the Central Kitsap Cougars. JV didn’t have much luck against Central either, as they fell with a final score of 2-1. An unfortunate loss at home for both squads, but JV plans to rebound against Timberline at home on the 4th. 

Thursday, October 3rd: Boy’s tennis is on the road again as they travel across the Carr Inlet to take on Yelm. Peninsula won their last match against CK 5-0 and this match ended the same. Another 5-0 win for boy’s tennis as the team is simply steam rolling opponents. It is worth noting that this is Peninsula’s third 5-0 win this year, and look to snag many more. Tuesday the 8th at 3:30pm will be a great time for another 5-0 win, as the team hosts the 6-1 Gig Harbor Tides. This will be the team’s hardest matchup yet, but at home and undefeated, the cards are stacked in Peninsula’s favor. 

Thursday, October 3rd: Boy’s water polo is home to take on the South Kitsap Cougars.After a loss on Tuesday, the Hawks looked to turn their season around and start something positive against the Cougars.  Water Polo will have the third of their three game home stint, at 5:30pm on Saturday against Auburn Mountainview, as Peninsula looks to find another way to win. 

Thursday, October 3rd: Varsity football took the field against the 1-3 Timberline Blazers. Previously sitting at 2-2, Peninsula has clawed their way to the top spot in the South Sound Conference over the past few weeks, and looked to keep clawing their way to a post season appearance.This was Timberline’s homecoming game, and what better way for the Seahawks to get a winning record then to spoil the Blazer’s big game. The game was broadcast state wide on ROOT Sports, and like most Peninsula games, did not disappoint the viewers. Peninsula played solid defense all night, topped off with a dominant rushing game. Junior Sean Skladany did his part during the game, crossing the thick white paint to get into the endzone twice. The teams traded blows on offense and found themselves tied 21 a piece at the end of the fourth quarter. The game went into overtime, and for for the first time this season, Peninsula got to play in more than 4 quarters. Timberline won the coin toss, but there must have been a coaching mistake as the Blazers oddly enough kicked the ball off to Peninsula. PHS took the ball down the field and scored a field goal, 24-21. Timberline has one final drive to secure the win, but the Seahawks defense showed up when it mattered most. Senior safety Cole McVay intercepted the Timberline quarterback to seal the road win for Peninsula. PHS Football will be on the road again, this time to face off against the Central Kitsap Cougars on October 11th at 7pm.

Friday, October 4th: Varsity girl’s soccer hosted Timberline in search of their fourth win on the year. After a slight rough patch in the year, PHS found themselves with a lead in the final two minutes of the game. Peninsula finally had some luck as the Girl’s rallied together for their fourth win on the season, beating the visiting Blazers 3-1 at home. Great plays by all the players on the Seahawks, and a well deserved win. The Girls are preparing hard for their matchup on October 8th, against the cross town rival Gig Harbor Tides. Kickoff for that game is 7:15 on October 8th. 

Friday, October 4th: JV Girl’s soccer stayed home to rebound against the Timberline Blazers. It was a low scoring game as opposed to what fans around Purdy are used to seeing. JV defended their home turf with a final score of 1-0 over the Blazers. The JV squad will also play host to the Gig Harbor Tides on October 8th. But their game will be at 5:15pm, right before Varsity. 

All schedules, rankings and scores are according to http://www.sscathletics.org and https://www.maxpreps.com/