Peninsula Outlook

• April 2I bought the worlds worst thesaurus today. Not only is it terrible, it's terrible.

• March 28I'm only friends with 25 letters of the alphabet. I don't know Y.

The Impacts of Bullying: Cyber and In-person

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student struggling with bullying

Student struggling with bullying

https://pixabay.com/en/students-classroom-school-sad-395568/?scrlybrkr=0a28a7de

Student struggling with bullying

Student struggling with bullying

Katie Clark, Reporter

Have you been cyber bullied? Or ever felt as if this problem may escalate to other levels of harassment? Grayson Jansen, a Junior at Peninsula High School, said “I got insulted for my hair color and looks and it really lowered my confidence.

Cyber bullying and in-person bullying needs to stop, those who may be a bully or may be a possible victim feel hurt; everyone knows that bullying is a problem and now is the time that we take action in this dilemma. We need to figure out why and how we can stop this from happening, or at least know how to avoid it.

Students around Peninsula have struggled with bullying in their past. Alex Taylor, a sophomore at Peninsula, said “I got bullied for my eye shape and it had really made me feel bad and insecure about myself, and the bullying had not stopped.”

Daniel Shurr, a junior explained how his disorder led to him being bullied. “I got bullied for having turrets and it didn’t really make me upset it got me more mad, eventually it stopped but i’m still self conscious about it,” Shurr said.

The impact of bullying can lead to depression and symptoms similar of. Many students have failed to learn healthy coping mechanisms, struggle with coping, and turn to self harm. Self harm can be a scary thing and a lot of times students may be feeling like hurting themselves, but there are ways they can cope with this temptation by using various ways like drawing or using things to take out their stress.

Because some may feel as if they never matter, these feelings may lead to suicidal thoughts– it makes their life hard to cope with: school, work, and home. Anna Parr, a junior said “a lot of rumors were spread about me that weren’t true and I started to have suicidal thoughts and self harm thoughts, because people bullied me.”

So what can be done to stop bullying? For cyber bullying, most people take the easiest solution; get rid of social media or block the person bullying you. Ethan Thompson, a senior said “I got bullied for my name online and there was a lot of teasing and comments about it, but it irritated me because of there childish behavior, but no it hasn’t impacted my life and it eventually stopped.” However, these bullies could make multiple “spam accounts” just to find a way to get to you.

The best way to end bullying is to tell an adult, they will find a way to help. Ms Mcneish, the Vice Principal at Peninsula, said “I became security because my sister was bullied for being special and I wanted to help others who are being hurt by other people… it’s not right, it’s not okay to bully others for the way they are.”

Telling a peer is usually the first person someone goes to, but that may be the biggest problem only because they will get involved and possibly be part of an issue. Tell a parent and or guardian about the situation before moving onto your friends and or other people you may associate with.

If someone you know is being bullied please tell someone because people are there to help and give support. Be accepting others for who they wanna be or what they wanna be, that goes for teens who wanna be other genders or dress up or even might like the same gender, whatever the case we shouldn’t judge anyone. Peninsula students are good people, they are equal in all ways and should be accepted for who they are.

Another person you could tell is a counselor, no one deserves to feel worthless and they are there to help. Moreover, teachers are here to help; the bullying dilemma needs to end, it is completely wrong and disrespectful. Jansen said “eventually my bullying stopped and did not impact my life as a whole, and I got more confidence over the years.”

For those that need to get help and have considered taking their own life, please call the suicide hotline: 1(800)273-8255 — this source offers help to people that need to talk to someone.

Katie Clark, Reporter

Katie Clark pursued Outlook, because she really wanted to learn about journalism and newspaper. If she could, she would interview Emma Watson since they...