Fall Sports: A Seasoned Review

Shawn Leonard

Peninsula boy’s tennis player Maverick Esser

Shawn Leonard, Reporter

As fall is coming to an end and winter approaches, girls soccer and boys tennis are entering the final stretch of their seasons. The girls have fought hard all season and secured the final playoff spot, while the boys finished second in league.

Girls Soccer

The girls recently defeated Bethel in a close 1-0 finish with the lone goal being scored by Ashlyn Valdez. When the junior midfielder was asked how the competition in league play has been, she said “The competition in league has been strong this year. We have had some tough games but hopefully we will bounce back and play better.”  After taking a tough loss against the league champion Gig Harbor Tides, the Seahawks will be looking to come back to beat Mountain View tonight at Mt. Tahoma in a loser out game.

Boys Tennis

The boys tennis team had an outstanding season, finishing 2nd in league. What makes this even more significant is the fact that they had no seniors. Sophomore Keyvyn Rogers and freshman Ethan Sun made it to districts for doubles, and sophomore Matthew Mehlert qualified for districts. Singles district alternate Maverick Esser made the expectations for next year clear, the team has high hopes for the future. Esser says “Next year we expect to win the league championship and send the whole varsity team to leagues.” With the majority of

the team returning next season carrying another year of experience under their belts, they will all be back striving for the league title.