The student news site of Peninsula High School

Peninsula Outlook

• April 5Two gold fish are in a tank. One looks at the other and says, "You know how to drive this thing?!?"

• January 19My grandfather had the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the Cincinnati Zoo

• January 18What did 0 say to 8? Nice Belt!

DAMN. A Review

Kendrick+Lamar+releases+fourth+studio+album.+
Kendrick Lamar releases fourth studio album.

Hiphopnmore.com

Hiphopnmore.com

Rachel Svinth, Reporter

With the release of his fourth studio album on April 14th, 2017, Kendrick Lamar has shocked the world once again. A truth that cuts straight to the bone, and a mystery so enigmatic, DAMN. has spread like an epidemic through millions of global listeners.

After two-weeks of all fourteen tracks sitting on Billboard’s Hot 100, DAMN. has been under constant analysis and critique. Many say the album promotes anti-American ideals and furthers the divide and effects of racism, others describe it as the cutting edge voice of the African-American struggle. But what I’ve come to realize is that DAMN. is so much more than a politically inclined album.  

When I first heard the new single from Lamar, ‘HUMBLE.’, before the album was released, it sounded to me like the usual upbeat spiel. The bass was powerful and lyrics made you interested enough to google the meanings. What I didn’t know was that it was merely a taste of the big picture.

Kendrick dives into the emotions of life, the struggle of the human-race, and creates a piece of artwork so unlike anything before, so raw yet so polished.

With tracks such as ‘LUST.’ the lyrics boast a thought-provoking view on society and the daily routines we all get stuck in, as well as a perspective on the presidential election. He raps “We all woke up, tryna tune to the daily news/Lookin’ for confirmation, hopin’ election wasn’t true/All of us worried, all of us buried, and our feelings deep/None of us married to his proposal, make us feel cheap/Still and sad, distraught and mad, tell the neighbor ’bout it/Bet they agree, parade the streets with your voice proudly/Time passin’, things change/Revertin’ back to our daily programs,stuck in our ways; Lust.” Mixed with a slow and dark beat, it allows the lyrics to penetrate into your mind and reside deep inside you, resulting in chills coursing through my body.

Every song seems to outdo the last. Whether it’s a lyrical look at Lamar’s meeting with Obama, a beautiful and harmonic perspective on love, or a declaration to his identity, DAMN. ties in everything.    

As an encapsulation of all the feelings, thoughts, and emotions that this album conveyed, it leaves me astonished. All I can say is, well, damn.