How Style Shapes Identity: A Journey of Self-Expression

Molly Clark

“I used to be an emo kid, and now I have more of a fringe, skater, stoner style,” said Jonah Carter.

Rachel Svinth, Reporter

The terms ‘fashion’ and ‘style’ spawn multitudes of thoughts and opinions amongst high school students. For many, clothing is simply something they throw on in the morning, as they rush out of the house to face the day at school.

Largely overlooked, are the students that spend hours of meticulous planning, searching, and executing to obtain a visual representation of who they are as an individual.

“My style shows what I like about myself and what I like about the people around me. It shapes who I am.” said Max Meyer.

Within their style is an artistic output, showing the world a glimpse of how they feel, what they aspire to be, and their perception of the world.

“I think it’s a way of expression. Not only is it a way that you can exhibit who you are, but it’s a way to have fun with yourself.” said PHS senior, Anna Marshall.

Without the presence of fashion, the lives of students would be very different. Choosing what to wear becomes a daily routine full of thought and careful deliberation.

“I usually spent thirty to forty minutes the night before, kind of setting everything out. And for shopping, I go up to Seattle,” said Meyer.

Unlike what many may think, how people choose to dress is typically a statement that comes from within, not one that is made to others. Style is the constantly changing result of individualism, sentiment, and one’s interpretation of society.

“Its definitely a way to have fun, and it’s not really about pleasing others, or caring about what other people think of your clothes, it’s just having fun with what you’re wearing, and enjoying it,” said Noelle Misterek.