The Outlook and Kwahaes go to LA

Meghan Laakso

Member s of the PHS yearbook and newspaper staff enjoyed their trip to LA.

Meghan Laakso, Managing Editor

On Thursday the 14th, members of the Peninsula Outlook and Kwahaes Yearbook traveled down to Los Angeles, California for the Spring National Student Press Association (NSPA) Journalism convention. There, students were given the opportunity to attend a variety of educational and interesting classes about multiple topics relating to yearbook and newspaper production.

Some of the classes were taught by keynote speakers- big wig journalists from papers like the LA Times. Others were instructed by teachers who have large student staffs and excellent papers. Topics ranged from how to cover a student/ teacher death to women gaining access in men’s locker rooms after sports events to the protection of journalists rights.

There was a room filled with booths from sponsors, organizations, and colleges with large journalism programs. Student Newspapers Online (SNO), who runs The Outlook, was there as well as Jostens, a major yearbook company.

The classes and booths were not the only learning opportunities available. Being in the same hotel with a couple thousand other high school journalists/ yearbook staff members was all at once overwhelming and fun for the Peninsula students. A lot of patience was required just to wait for the slow running elevators that seemed to stop on every floor. But everyone was very friendly and had something new and exciting to say.

The other very important learning opportunity came from inner city travel. Whether it was walking around the streets near the hotel, taking the subway, or even the public transit bus- there was something new around every corner. Many of the students had never set foot on a public bus. One had never even flown in a plane before. These forms of public travel invoked many different conversations among the students with their advisor, Mr. Hosford. Topics ranged from homelessness to city sanitation and cleanliness. Solutions were considered and gave students much to think about.
Overall the trip was very beneficial to the students of the newspaper and yearbook. Not only did the students pick up beneficial journalistic skills, but they acquired social and street knowledge as well.