Dr. Rob Manahan- Peninsula School District’s New Superintendent

Managing Editor, Meghan Laakso, captures the excitement of new superintendent, Dr. Rob Manahan.

www.golakechelan.com

Meghan Laakso, Managing Editor

The 2016-17 school year holds a lot of change for the Peninsula School District (PSD). The most important improvement is the selection of a new superintendent, Dr. Rob Manahan.

Dr. Manahan has been the superintendent for the Chelan School District for the past six years but has had his eye open for a position here in Gig Harbor. Before his jaunt in Chelan, Manahan was actually an administrative intern at Harbor Ridge Middle School. Since moving to Chelan, Manahn has been looking for a reason to get back here.

“I have always respected the district, the results it has achieved in educating the students here, and the way Peninsula treats their staff,” said Manahan. “This is a great community and one I am excited to reconnect with.”

Manahan grew up in New York and lived there for nine years. For his higher education, Manahan went to Washington State University where he got his Bachelors degree in elementary education and a minor in P.E. Ten years later, Manahan went back to school to get his Masters in School Administration at Western Washington University. Then, in 2009, Manahan graduated from the University of Washington with a Doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. It is safe to say the Peninsula School District will be in very qualified hands.

For those who have ever been to Chelan, they know how small of town it is. With only five schools in the district, Manahan has been able to make connections with most of the faculty and student body. PSD has fifteen schools, three times the amount Manahan is used to. But that is not a problem- Manahan is prepared to embrace the transition.

“I think there will be some challenges for sure, but none that I can’t overcome. In some ways, I will have much more help and staff to work with here than in Chelan,” said Manahan. “ I have been in systems as big as Peninsula before so I do understand what it takes to successfully lead a district this size. I think relationships are the key to a successful school district so this will be my top priority – to build relationships that are built on a foundation of trust and mutual respect.”

Manahan’s dedication to his students, staff, and schools is framed by his ultimate goal- to change the world through education. Manahan wants the student body of PSD to know that he will do everything it takes to make each year a successful one.

Here is Manahan’s message to you, the students:

“You are the reason I have a job! I serve you and want to ensure that we are doing all we can to help you overcome any barriers you might have and to help each and everyone of you be successful. I truly believe that education  has, is and will continue to change the world. As corny as it sounds, the ‘Children are the Future’ and I think understanding, hearing and respecting student perspective is important for all of us to ensure that we are successful in doing our jobs and creating the outcome we know is best for each of you to reach your potential.”
Welcome to Peninsula School District, Dr. Manahan.