New Classes at PHS

Amelia Wright, Reporter

Next year, PHS will offer several new classes. These classes include Food Science, Introduction to Computer Science, Introduction to Philosophy, Medical Interventions, and AP Seminar English.

In Food Science you will learn the knowledge, skills, and practices required for careers in food science, dietetics, and nutrition. The course focuses on the relationship between food consumption, health, and human development. Instruction includes risk management procedures, nutritional therapy, technology in food production, and diet and nutritional analysis and planning. Science is integrated throughout the course in experiments such as the caramelization of sugars and starches, the production and growth of yeast, or the effects of temperature on chocolate. Students may study a variety of topics, including the effects of antioxidants on humans, the shelf life of food products, and the positive and negative effects of bacteria food. During this course, students will work in teams to prepare and conduct food experiments. They will then predict, interpret, and evaluate food laboratory results. Grades: 11-12

Introduction to Computer Science is designed to offer students a hands-on introduction to computer science and the technologies that surround us every day. Students will learn how computer technologies work and about the ideas behind them. The course will cover topics such as computer graphics, robotics, algorithms, and artificial intelligence. The students will also learn to program and to implement the ideas they have learned into projects. Grades: 9-12

Throughout Introduction to Philosophy, students will consider epistemological questions concerning the possibility and nature of knowledge and truth; metaphysical questions concerning the nature of ultimate reality, the mind-body problem, consciousness, freedom and determinism, personal identity, and the existence of God; and ethical questions concerning morality and the good life. Philosophy will emphasize the careful reading of primary and secondary sources, critical and systematic thinking, and the verbal and written expression of ideas. Grades: 11-12

In Medical Interventions students follow the life of a fictitious family as they investigate how to prevent, diagnose, and treat disease. Students explore how to detect and fight infection; screen and evaluate the code in human DNA; evaluate cancer treatment options; and prevail when the organs of the body begin to fail. Through real-world cases, students are exposed to a range of interventions related to immunology, surgery, genetics, pharmacology, medical devices, and diagnostics. Grades: 11-12

AP Seminar English engages students in cross-curricular conversations that explore the complexities of academic and real-world topics and issues by analyzing divergent perspectives. Students learn to synthesize information from multiple sources of informational text, to develop their own perspectives in researched-based written essays, and to design and deliver oral and visual presentations, both individually and as part of a team. Grades: 10-12

The first day to start signing up for classes is March 14th, and it will happen during math classes. If any of these are of interest, sign up for them when applying for next year’s classes!