Senior season arrives too quickly for some

Hunter McKenzie, Sports Editor

When you have played a sport for as long as you can remember, it is difficult to picture life without it. In my case, picturing a year without strapping on my shoulder pads and buckling up my helmet is nearly impossible to do since football has been the most prominent part of my life since I was in third grade. For many seniors, never playing a sport again may be a reality. They begin realizing that the future is coming, and that they may not be able play their sport anymore, and there are several reasons why.

In 1984, this was the case for John Selfors. Although now he is a marketing teacher and football coach, he was once the two year starting quarterback for the football team. At the end of his 4 years playing at Peninsula, he originally decided to focus on his schooling at University of Washington. After two years there, he realized that he still wanted to play football and he would do anything to be able to.

“I thought to myself, ‘Wow I miss football a lot’ so I took a leap of faith,” Selfors said.

After two years at the University of Washington, Selfors transferred to University of  Puget Sound, a place where he had the opportunity to play football.

“Once football is in your blood, it is hard to get it out,” Selfors said.

In his case, his leap of faith paid off. He proceeded to play there for the two remaining years in his college career, lettering both years.

Not only is the seemingly rapid approach of the future a reason why a certain sport won’t be played by an individual again, injuries also may bring an end to your sports career.

Senior football player Marque Kriebel knows this quite well. Although he is not the only senior player who suffered from a season ending injury, he is a player who never had an opportunity to play in a single game.

During a scrimmage at the beginning of the season, Kriebel dislocated his shoulder while jumping to defend a pass. The doctors determined that he had torn his labrum and would need surgery, putting him out for the season.

“As soon as it happened, one of the first things to run through my mind was, ‘Did I try as hard as I could have?’” Kriebel said.

Kriebel, like many other athletes, had dreams of playing at a collegiate level. Most colleges begin to offer sports scholarships to players after their senior season. Since he was unable to participate this season, it is not likely that he will receive many offers unless he gets accepted to the Air Force Academy, where he will have an opportunity to play.

From the perspective of a senior athlete, four years of high school sports go way too fast. During high school, students sometimes struggle to find a balance between school work, sports, and social life, and it seems like it all goes by in the blink of an eye.

“Even when you don’t want to be at practice, go all out and enjoy it,” Kriebel said. “You never know what play will be your last.”