Interact: A chaotic family

Mackenzie Filkins, Managing Editor

Philanthropic, interactive, nice, fun, chaotic, awesome, enlightening, and absolutely amazing. These are some of the adjectives used by the new interact leaders to describe their club. Interact is an extension of rotary and one of two community service clubs offered at school, the other being Key Club. Although Interact is mainly known for their dances, it is a place to help the community and make long lasting memories. The interact leader who affectionately used chaotic as one of their adjectives is the newest president of the club, Megan Ross.

“There seems to be a lot going on all the time and we’re kind of all over the place but that’s what’s best about it. You can pick and choose what you want to do and if you don’t want to do something, that’s okay and it’s always fun, there’s always something to do, there’s always people there.” Ross said.

Some of the activities you can pick and choose from are taking apart the baskets that hang in the harbor, or volunteering at the Harbor History Museum’s anniversary party, or the Thanksgiving basket brigade. However, those are just yearly activities for interact. Amanda Myton, interacts vice president introduced a new charity to focus on. Charity Water, which supplies methods of clean water for underdeveloped regions of the world.

“Charity Water is a national organization and interact decided that we would be apart of that. Jessica and Kayla [marketing students] are doing something with Charity Water but we’re thinking maybe we could partner up with them and do some sort of water balloon fight.” Myton said.

A possible water balloon fight on campus is just one thing to look forward to with interact. The club also plans on traveling to Uganda next year. This year, interact will focus on local community service, since they traveled to Peru last year. Ross especially enjoyed her time in Peru.

“The high point for me [last year] was the trip I got to take to Peru. That was an absolutely amazing experience and incredibly enlightening and just seeing all the kids that we were able to help out just made it completely worth it. Just a once in a lifetime highlight of the whole club.” Ross said.

Ross along with the three other leaders and two dozen members are passionate about their community and use that passion to create change. Interact is a place where students come together to create one big family and the club wants to expand that family.

“We’re looking for new members, we’re always welcoming new people. Mrs. Kurtz room 210 Thursdays right after school.” Myton said.

Interact Leaders 2014-2015

President: Megan Ross

Vice President: Amanda Myton

Secretary: Sarah Prins

Treasurer: Gary Bravo