Boys Basketball “Hoop there it is”

James Klumker, Reporter

team2013-14web-1

The Peninsula boys basketball season has come to an end. The Hawks made it to the postseason sub-districts after finishing in second place in the league with a 7-3 record.

The roster was filled with talented, phenomenal athletes and ball players, each one with their own style of play and gifts. For example, sophomore Jaquori Mclaughlin, can do it all: shoot, handle the ball well, drive to the basket, and dunk. Another sophomore, Jimmy Ritchie, a 6-foot-7 starting center, scores in the paint easily and can also dunk. The two seniors, Nolan Winter and O’shea Mclaughlin made vital contributions. Winter has a shooting hot hand and dribbling ability. Mclaughlin with his tremendous speed and athleticism, can drive to the basket like a freight train.

There were a lot  more sharpshooters, dunkers and athletes on the boys basketball team this year. The Hawk’s athleticism and strength gave them a 4-game win streak at the very beginning of their season but then a loss to their bitter rival, Gig Harbor, and then another loss to Puyallup.

The Hawks used their anger from this disappointing result and turned it into motivation. Following these two games, the Hawks went on a 5-game win streak. Next, it was time for the big game against Enumclaw.

After losing to Enumclaw at Peninsula, 52-55, the Hawks wanted their win back. The Enumclaw Hornets gave a long and fierce battle, but so did the Hawks. The Hawks started out strong and so did the Hornets, but the only team that appeared motivated, was the Hornets. The scoreboard at the end of the game showed this. The Hawks lost 59-68.  The boys were competing for the number one place in their league, but the Hornets took first and the Hawks second.

After another win, and a loss, it was sub-districts time. Their first game against Kennedy Catholic, the boys lost 67-71. It was a well fought battle between both teams.

Their next opponent was Auburn Mountainview. After both a loss and a win against the Lions, the Hawks wanted to take the tie-breaker home. The Hawks played a strong game, but not strong enough. Auburn Mountainview finished the game, winning 49-42.

The Hawks were left with one more chance. They played Timberline next. It was a battle of the commits; 6-foot-7 senior Donaven Dorsey, from Timberline who is committed to play at  Washington University, and  6-foot-3 Jaquori Mclaughlin, committed to Oregon State.

Dorsey finished with 19 points, and Mclaughlin with 27. Although both players and teams played well, Timberline beat Peninsula with a final of 55-63.

The Hawks had a fantastic season finishing second place in their league (SPSL 3A) with a record of 7-3 and an overall record of 15-8.