Cait Jackson

Senior Cait Jackson was chosen for featured artist because of her talent for singing and acting. Jackson has performed in school plays such as Our Town and Legally Blonde. She was nominated for featured artist by Drama teacher Kara Beloate.

David Bessex, Reporter

Cait Jackson
David Bessex Photo

Question: How long have you been performing in theatre?

A. “I first started performing in the fifth grade, so its been about seven years.”

Q. How did you get interested in acting?

A. “I was actually in third grade down at Purdy Elementary and we took a field trip up to Peninsula High School and we got to watch the drama department that was then run by Mr. Bill. They put on a play and I can’t remember for the life of me what play it was but I remember thinking that all those teenagers look so confident and happy and excited and after the play we got to talk to them and I realized that I wanted to work with Mr Bill.”

Q: What was your first time on stage like? What production was it?

A. “My first major production that really stands out in my mind was when I did Grease in the eighth grade. I played Sandy and it was just, that was when I really fell in love with acting. Stepping out and feeling the lights just turn on and hit you and seeing 500 faceless people tune into your every word is just a feeling that you can’t find anywhere else.”

Q. What is your favorite play?

A. “My favorite play will definitely have to be Wicked. It’s my first Broadway show that I ever saw so its got a lot of memory and it’s just a really good play.”

Q. Who is your favorite actress/actor? Why?

A. “Well it’s not really a theater actor, but Johnny Depp is my favorite actor because he’s so incredibly talented and versatile and he goes 110 percent in any role he plays. I just really find that amazing because he plays such a variety of roles.”

Q. How long have you been singing? What is your favorite song?

A. “I have been singing pretty much since I can talk. I just love music. I really don’t have a favorite song. For me its more about my mood because I feel like music is a way to express yourself when really nothing else can and so there are like sad days when certain songs are my favorite, there are happy days, there are angry days, there are workout days. It just kinda depends but I think that’s the best part about songs is that they can go for any mood. It doesn’t have to be just one song forever.”

Q. How much time do you spend singing?

A. “I would say I probably spend 80 percent of my day singing. If I’m not singing like out loud I’m humming under my breath or I’m singing inside my head trying not to sing out loud during a test.”

Q. If you had to choose singing or theater, which would it be? Why?

A. “Definitely theatre because you can incorporate singing into theatre and you really can’t incorporate much theatre into singing. But I also feel like, I’m a decent singer, I’m not Lydia Bill or anything, but I feel like I have a lot more range of talent in acting than I do in singing.”