Year Round Education

Year Round Education

Isabella Rosenberger

In west coast state schools in the U.S., public education begins in the fall months of September or August, ending in the following year during or around June or July. Other state schools along the east coast end earlier in the year, starting up again in earlier months, like May or June. This allows for many weeks of break between each school year. However, this practice presents many challenges, such as students falling out of an academic mindset during this break and struggling when they re-enter school. Another is the race to work a year’s worth of material into under 10 months. For students and teachers alike, this means longer school days and fewer breaks during the school year. While many students in the states struggle with this kind of educational system, others thrive under another kind of school year format, year-round schooling.

Year-round schooling is an alternative school year that engages students for the entire year, without a large break during the summer. Though this method may prevent extended vacations, it means various breaks throughout the year. Students in typical school systems often become stressed due to the lack of breaks in between long durations of time, which can leave them feeling burnt out by the end of their school year (Pros and Cons of Year Round Schooling).  This alternate method provides students with constant and consistent breaks to prevent this feeling. Engaging students year-round also prevents the difficult transition back into a student’s routine in the fall. 

Another benefit of this alternative school year is that it lessens the amount of material that teachers must cover before the year ends. Ultimately, less material means shorter school days. Students would be able to pursue extracurricular activities and personal hobbies that aid in a more well-rounded lifestyle that many colleges look for. Additionally, students will be able to achieve a more productive day with healthier sleep schedules (Should School Be Year-Round?).  Instead of early mornings and late nights, typically due to an overhaul of schoolwork, students would perform better with more sleep. 

Praising a limited amount of sleep to make room for work during early childhood and teenage years is an unrealistic standard that doesn’t apply to various positions in the workforce (Should We Consider Year-Round School in the U.S.?). So why do we ask that students live this over-time life? 

Apart from many previously mentioned benefits such as greater sleep, more breaks, and more time for personal pursuits, a year-round education has worked for nearly all of the school systems that have tried it. Japan’s schooling system is known for its shorter hours on campus and greater amount of breaks between semesters. Yet, Japanese students outperform nearly every other country in math, literacy, and science (International Schools).

The education system of the United States doesn’t fail to acknowledge that American performance within schools lies beneath our potential, but rather that we refuse to change. A great number of business hours, and general service hours, would have to change in order to accommodate parents’ needs if the U.S. were to change its education system. However, the results could be worthwhile.

References

“International Schools and the Education System in Japan.” InterNations, 30 Nov. 2022, https://www.internations.org/japan-expats/guide/education#:~:text=The%20school%20year%20in%20Japan%20is%20year%2Dround.,offer%20optional%20classes%20on%20Saturdays.

“Pros and Cons of Year-Round School.” School of Education Online, 28 Oct. 2022, https://soeonline.american.edu/blog/pros-and-cons-of-year-round-school/.

Should School Be Year-Round? – Wtps.org. https://www.wtps.org/cms/lib8/NJ01912980/Centricity/Domain/1794/Should_school_be_year_round.pdf.

“Should We Consider Year-Round School in the U.S.?” University of Texas at Arlington Online, 8 Jan. 2018, https://academicpartnerships.uta.edu/articles/education/consider-year-round-school-in-us.aspx#:~:text=Benefits%20of%20Year%2DRound%20School%20in%20the%20U.S.&text=Shorter%20breaks%20between%20school%20terms,sizes%20and%20overcrowding%20in%20classrooms.