Peninsula Sports Update

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

Saturday, February 1st: Varsity Boy’s Basketball had their game against Shelton postponed a few weeks ago due to icy road conditions. They finally had a chance to pay a visit to the Highclimbers, and capitalized on the opportunity to play the game they missed. Peninsula won in a close game, 40-37 against Shelton. Despite having back to back games, Peninsula fought hard and won in the end, showing how tough the Seahawks can be. 

Saturday, February 1st: JV Boy’s Basketball also hosted Shelton on Saturday, taking the 51-36 win at home. The team showed great teamwork against the Highclimbers, and hope to finish the season strong. 

Saturday, February 1st: Varsity Girl’’s Basketball had their game against Shelton postponed to the first too. They hosted the Highclimbers and blew them out of the water. Peninsula dismantled the Highclimbers, 68-38 showing toughness and witt as they moved the ball up and down the court with ease. 

Saturday, February 1st: JV Girl’s Basketball also hosted Shelton on Saturday, defending the home court against the Highclimbers 48-34. The JV squad has played well all year, and will keep on chugging into the final two weeks of the season. 

Tuesday, February 4th: Varsity Girl’s Basketball hosted the Timberline Blazers for the final Seahawk home game of the season. It was senior night, where we took the time to thank all of our seniors for what they have done for our program. Our seniors were Renee Doss, Elizabeth Cude, Kara Mckinney, and Jonna Waage. They dedicated so much time to the game, and to Peninsula High School. As for the game, Peninsula Breezed past 

Thursday, February 6th: Varsity Boy’s Basketball traveled across Highway 16 to play the Crosstown rival Gig harbor Tides. Peninsula took the win at home a few weeks ago against their rivals, but this time Gig Harbor got the best of the Seahawks, as Peninsula lost a defensive showdown 36-25. With that, Peninsula clinches the 4th seed in the South Sound Conference and a playoff birth. FInishing the regular season with an in conference record of 6-8. Their opponent is yet to be determined, but the Hawks will have to be the road warriors of the league if they want to stay alive in the playoffs. Unfortunately for Peninsula fans, Gig Harbor will be the first seed in the SSC, and have Home court advantage in the playoffs this year. 

Thursday, February 6th: JV Boy’s Basketball got destroyed by Gig Harbor, taking their final loss in their final game 78-38 against the Tides. This isn’t how they wanted to end their season, but the young team can use this as motivation for next season as the team moves forward. 

Thursday, February 6th: Varsity Girl’s Basketball took a loss against Gig Harbor three weeks ago at home, this time they had the chance to avenge their loss, marching into Gig Harbor High School and taking the 50-33 win against the Tides. With that win, the Girls clinch the 4th seed in the South Sound Conference, and just like the boys, they will have to be the road warriors of the league if they look to make it to the Tacoma Dome for State. Their next game will be away, against an unspecified opponent, On Wednesday, February 12th.