PHS Sports Update

Week of October 15th 2019

Spin Photo: Sam Ohara

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

Tuesday, October 8th: It was a big day around PHS, as Peninsula Boy’s Tennis took the court against the 6-1 Gig Harbor Tides. Coming into the game, Peninsula was riding an unbeaten season at 7-0, looking to get to 8-0. Unfortunately, the bigger they are the harder they fall, as Peninsula took their first loss on the year, 3-2, against the Tides. All good things must come to an end, but Peninsula is still ranked first in the conference. For the first time all year the Hawks will look to rebound on the 9th away, against Mt. Tahoma. 

Tuesday, October 8th: Boy’s Water Polo hit the road for the first time in a little over a week to take on Wilson High School who was currently sitting at 2-2. The Hawks fought hard but unfortunately fell to Wilson 11-14. A familiar sight for the Hawks, but they will be back home for their next three games, and they look to find a way to win against Gig Harbor on the 10th. 

Thursday, October 8th: Girl’s Swim and Dive remained unbeaten on the season at 6-0 and at the top of the SSC. The girls stayed home to host the North Thurston Rams and looked to build on their perfect season. The Seahawks soon found themselves with another win under their belt, winning the meet 113-67. The now 7-0 Hawks will pay a visit to Wilson High School on the 15th, to march in and keep their perfect season alive. It’s worth noting that Wilson is undefeated as well at 7-0, this will be the most challenging meet so far, but it shouldn’t faze the girls, who look to march in and grab a win. 

Tuesday, October 8th: Varsity Volleyball has been preparing all week for this week’s game. Sitting at 5-1, the Peninsula Seahawks are second place in the South Sound Conference, right behind Capital. This game was against the rival Gig Harbor Tides, and the fans brought the hype. Both student sections were going at it all game, but only one school could back up the trash talk, and thankfully, Peninsula was that school. Peninsula swept Gig Harbor, taking the game 3-0. While the score in the sets were close, Peninsula capitalized off of the Tides mistakes, turning them into Seahawk points. The Hawks are on the road on Thursday, October 15th against Shelton as the team looks to improve to 7-1 on the year. 

Tuesday, October 8th: JV Volleyball was also home against the Tides, and a hard fought battle resulted in a 3-0 JV win. Excellent performances by every player on the court led to a blowout, and another JV victory. JV will also slide on over to Shelton to take on the Highclimbers their game is at 5:45. Good luck to JV.

Tuesday, October 8th: Varsity Girl’s Soccer capped off an eventful day and a late night of PHS sports, as the girls stayed home to defend their home turf against the reigning 3A state champs but more importantly, cross town rival Gig Harbor Tides. It was a tough game for the Hawks, and it definitely tested the team’s strength, but in the end the Hawks fell to the reigning champs at home, with a final score of 5-2. The game could have ended much worse, and could have certainly ended a whole lot better. A disappointing loss, but the Hawks will have to look ahead to their next game which will be on the road against the Shelton Highclimbers. Peninsula did best Shelton 8-0 at home, and we all hope that the same can happen on the road, on Thursday, October 10th, at 7pm.  

Tuesday, October 8th: JV Girl’s Soccer was also home against the Tides. They played before varsity at 5:45, but found a similar outcome, as they took a loss at home 5-1 against Gig Harbor. It was rough, but it’s not the end of the season for JV, who will also be on the road against Shelton on the 10th, squaring off against the Highclimbers at 5:45pm. 

Wednesday, October 9th: Boy’s Tennis found themselves on the road after taking their first loss of the season at home to Gig Harbor. The Hawks hit the road to rebound against Mt. Tahoma. Peninsula marched in, showed their dominance, and got the win on the road, 5-0. The Hawks shook off their first loss of the year as they were able to rebuild confidence with this stellar win on the road. 

Thursday, October 10th: Boy’s Tennis came home after their win at  Mt. Tahoma. The Seahawks are still ranked first in the SSC, and remain at the top after their 3-2 win over Capital at home. It seems like PHS has forgot about the loss to Gig Harbor, and will continue their winning ways on Wednesday the 16th, as they look to get revenge against the Tides, at Gig Harbor at 3:30pm. 

Thursday, October 10th: Varsity Girl’s Soccer voyaged to Shelton to take on the Highclimbers. Previously sitting at 4-3-1, the Hawks looked to advance with another win on the year. Well, the Seahawks didn’t lose, but they also didn’t win, as PHS found their second tie of the year 2-2.  Peninsula will come back home against North Thurston on the 15th at 7pm, in hopes to get back to their winning ways. 

Thursday, October 10th: JV Girl’s Soccer joined varsity on the road to take on Shelton. JV is coming off of a loss of their own 5-1 to Gig Harbor on Tuesday but found another win, steamrolling Shelton 5-0. JV will also be home on the 15th against North Thurston but their game will be played before varsity, at 5:45 PM. 

Friday, October 11th: Varsity Football was on the road again after narrowly escaping Timberline with a 24-21 win in overtime. This time the Seahawks paid a visit to the Central Kitsap Cougars. Previously sitting at 3-2, Peninsula was ranked first in the SSC for football. (Even though Gig Harbor was 4-1.) Central Kitsap only had one loss on the season up to this point. Peninsula Football must like even numbers, because they were able to hand CK their second loss of the year, as PHS won 27-7. After this game, Peninsula is back home against Yelm in a battle for first in the SSC as PHS has fallen to second in the conference behind the Yelm Tornadoes. The battle is on the 18th, and will be their last home game on the schedule in the regular season, as we are the away team for Fish Bowl this year on the 25th. Kickoff against Yelm is at 7pm, as the Seahawks look to keep their win streak alive. 

All scores, rankings and schedules are according to   https://www.maxpreps.com/ 

and http://www.sscathletics.org/