Girl’s Soccer: Peninsula vs Gig Harbor

Girls Soccer: Peninsula vs Gig Harbor

Daniel Shurr, Sports Writer

Peninsula’s Girls Soccer team has had their share of ups and downs this season: wins, losses and the lone tie. Coaches say it builds character; fans say it builds hope. But there is definitely anticipation building around the campus of Peninsula High School, as the girls are prepared to take on cross-town rival Gig Harbor Tides.

Gig Harbor has dominated the South Sound Conference in soccer for years, including a 3A State Championship last year. Sitting at the top of the SSC (South Sound Conference) at 6-1 (ranked 5th in state), the Hawk’s main rival is in good position to repeat this year. While PHS is currently 3-2-1, that record is not a reflection of the team and their will to fight; PHS is in one of the hardest 3A conferences in the state, but continues to find success. Think back to game three against North Thurston. At the time, North Thurston was ranked second in the state of Washington. Peninsula only lost by 1 point, with a final score of 2-1. If Peninsula can put up a strong performance against Gig Harbor, like they did against North Thurston, they may be able to defend their home turf against the reigning state champs.  

Gig Harbor’s lone loss on the season came in week one against Union High School. Ironically, Union High School is currently ranked 52nd in the state, a confusing loss for Gig Harbor to start the year, considering their roster hasn’t changed much from their championship run last year. But besides the awkward week one game, Gig Harbor has been a force to be reckoned with in every game. Opponents have seen the Tides put up three or more goals in every game since. Gig Harbor has also been efficient keeping the ball out of the net too, and have not allowed a single point since game three. So what does that mean for Peninsula?  

Peninsula has had no problem scoring points this year; throughout six games the Hawks have scored 23 points. Dominating teams like North Mason with a 6-2 win in game one, 8-0 against Shelton in game two, and 5-1 over Yelm a few weeks ago. This season has shown that if Peninsula has a dominant game on offense, they will have a solid game on defense. The last thing that Peninsula wants to do this upcoming week is find themselves in a shootout against the Tides. In sports terms, a shootout is referring to a high scoring game, where both teams are back and forth putting points on the board. Peninsula has to play better defense than offense against the Tides, or else they may find themselves trailing late in the game with not much time left. They say defense wins championships and those words are exactly what Peninsula has to live by for the next few days. 

With their backs against the wall, a win against the Tides will skyrocket team morale. The Hawks are coming off a win against Timberline, and look to find more positivity through the last few weeks in the season. Attitude will be a huge factor considering the girls will play most of their remaining games on the road against opponents that have been in postseason contention. The seniors on this team will have to step up and lead the fairly young roster to victory. It is a large task, but very possible for a team with this talent.